Amazon Voyage Regional Boats
The Ayapua is a restored rubber boom epic vessel. She was built by R. Holtz in Hamburg Germany in 1906 and worked the rubber boom trade along the Purus, Japua, Jurua, Putomayo and Yavari Rivers in Brazil and Peru during the early part of the 20th century. From 2004 to 2006 she was restored to her original splendour, and many original features have been re-incorporated with character and style.
The elegance of Victorian opera and superfluous wealth of the rubber boom period are relished throughout the Ayapua. Her original steam whistle echoes through the forest in harmony with the howls of monkeys and screeches of macaws. Dolphins swim along her bows and swallows flutter through her masts as she gracefully steams up the mightiest River on Earth.
The Clavero is the oldest boat still navigating the Amazon River. She was built by Claparede Freres in Paris France in 1876.
Originally named Cahuapanas, she was a Peruvian naval ship of the first Amazonian fleet. She was used by the Peruvian military during their victorious campaign to expel the invasion of Ecuador on the Napo River in 1903. She was commissioned in 1905 by the joint Peruvian-Brazilian exploration of the upper Purus River to settle their frontiers, captained by D. Numa P. Leon. In the 1930’s her name was changed to Clavero in recognition of the most famous naval hero of the Peruvain Amazon, Teniente Primero Manuel Clavero Muga. She underwent restoration between 2007-2009 that reflects her heroic military heritage and distinguished naval services.